Autism Support & Advice
Here at Appaws we offer you and your family different kinds of support. The support is available 24/7, 365 days a year. It is confidential. (we do not provide medical support or medical advice), for this you must contact your medical practitioner or NHS 24. We are experienced and knowledgeable on many aspects of childcare, health & social care, education and above all else, Autism Spectrum Disorders.
Services we offer
- Advocacy for educational & health and social care
- 1-1 support & consultation
- Home visits*
- Resources i.e. sensory toys, books, PECS,
- DLA and Tribunals
- Letters to housing, education, local services etc.
- Training and workshop discounts for members & subscribers
- Online, telephone or face to face support & advice
* Your first visit is absolutely FREE , for ongoing and long term support from Appaws, the subscription charge is £60 per annum. This will entitle you and your family to ongoing support, resources and advice. This charge covers our petrol expenses, admin and also helps to cover some of the resources that may be needed.
What is Autism?
Autism is a lifelong neurodevelopmental condition, the core features of which are persistent difficulties in social interaction and communication and the presence of stereotypic (rigid and repetitive) behaviours, resistance to change or restricted interests. The way that autism is expressed in individual people differs at different stages of life, in response to interventions, and with the presence of coexisting conditions such as learning difficulties (also called ‘intellectual disabilities’).
People with autism also commonly experience difficulty with cognitive and behavioural flexibility, altered sensory sensitivity, sensory processing difficulties and emotional regulation difficulties. The features of autism may range from mild to severe and may fluctuate over time or in response to changes in circumstances. (www.nice.org.uk/guidance/CG142/chapter/introduction/)
If you feel your child or you, yourself may have autism, and you would like to be referred for a diagnosis, please visit your GP in the first instance!
You can also obtain great information and a guide on Autism Spectrum Diagnosis for children and adults at the NHS webpage – www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Autism/Pages/Thediagnosisofautism.aspx
Here at Appaws we offer you and your family different kinds of support. The support is available 24/7, 365 days a week. It is confidential. (we do not provide medical support or advice), for this you must contact your medical practitioner. We are experienced and knowledgeable on many aspects of childcare, health & social care, education and above all else, Autism Spectrum Disorders.
Below is various documents setting out your rights as a parent and the support and various strategies available and being implemented throughout Scotland and the UK. All resources are provided as PDF files for ease of access.